Sunday, February 27, 2011

The day has come to say goodbye

Angel and Scooter have a new home. A wonderful home! After posting an ad we had a few responses from people looking for puppies. Angel and Scooter are still puppies in our eyes, but to others they are old. "6 years!" they'd say. (not like I had already put that in the ad or anything) It was a horribly said day. Way worse than I could have ever expected. (I am doing all I can to be strong while writing this. I have not cried all day, and am so happy about that!)

The day started off as normal. Avayah pounding on her crib side and letting out little squeaks as if to say, come on Dada, I am awake. Andy is always the one to get her up in the morning. Mommy is a lazy, and takes advantage of the extra 10mins of sleep! After Andy gets Avayah you can hear the pups making there morning noises from the basement saying, we wanna eat let us out! The pounding starts as they are tromping up the basement stairs, and to their food bowls. It takes them only seconds to inhale their food, and they are ready to go outside. After a quick bathroom break they bolt for the bedroom, where.....um yes I still am (on weekends that is). They burrow as fast as they can into the bed as if they haven't slept for days and are freezing. After they take up most of the room in the bed I finally get up to greet my baby girl. After hearing her up and giggling with Dada how could I sleep any longer. Coffee in hand baby playing on the floor. Life is good. We had a few hours until we had to pack the pups things up, and hit the road so Life was good.

The few hours came faster than expected. Andy took their kennel apart and packed up their treats, brushes, water bowl and leashes. We all loaded into the truck on the road to Beloit. I think it only took us about 3 miles until I noticed the odd silence coming from Andy's side. Could it be? Is he crying? My goodness he was. That is all it took for me, as I broke out in tears. The entire 55 minute drive we both cried.

After pulling off the exit I told Andy I was not going to be able to go in with him and the pups. I was a mess. We pulled into Mike's driveway, and loved what we saw. A beautiful home with a big yard! He took the dogs out of the back, and Mike greeted him outside. He told him I was a not able to come in, and he totally understood. Mike had just put down his Beagle a few weeks back, and completely understood the feeling. They went into the house to let the pups adjust to their new home. Shortly after Avayah awoke and was ready to get out of her car seat. I build up enough strength to go in. What a great place. So much room and carpet. The pups are going to love it I thought. Andy ran outside to get the rest of their things, and Mike said that we could take them back at anytime, because he totally understand. If I am not mistaken he started to cry as well. Oh God help me! That is totally not what I expected.

Angel and Scooter were all over. So much to sniff and explore. We said our goodbye's as much of a goodbye as I could say as I could no longer see the dogs through my water-filled eyes, and out we went. Down the road we go, no more pups looking out the window. We both were in shock. Is this really true? Are they gone? Forever? No more of Scooter's big brown eyes peering up at you as if he were saying, ah Momma, can I have just one more treat, or Angel's dance she'd do as you filled her dog bowl with food.

It was such a empty feeling. It felt like a death. Thank God it was not. They are with a wonderful man, in a big house. He is so excited to have them to cuddle with on the couch, take for runs, and sleep with at night. He lives alone, and will be able to give them all the attention in the world.

Here is the reason for all this sadness.

After having Avayah we noticed Angel was not a big fan of another person in our pack. She is a very dominate dog, and we always (sort) of knew this was going to be an issue when we had kids. We just hoped it would be the opposite, and she'd be protective of the babies. We did what was best for the pups and Avayah. They were getting less attention from us, and Angel was spending too many hours locked on the stairs because she would growl at Avayah.

All-in-all this was a great thing, we are so lucky to have found a wonderful person who loves dogs, and has always had dogs. He told us he would keep us updated and we could visit whenever we'd like.

We love them so much, and will always remember the good times we had. They were our first babies. 6 years is a long time, we have been through a lot with them. I have cried to them so many (many) times, they were the first ones to hear of my pregnancy, I was home alone and in shock after reading the positive stick, and we celebrated, little did they know what was to come of that. Well you get the point.

I will quick rambling on. And share a few photos of them pups.




Scooter




Angel


















I will never forget these eyes.

The emotion that keep hitting me is that I failed. That we just gave up on them. How could you just take them to a new place and leave. I can just see Scooter waiting at the door waiting for use to come back in. I am not worried about Angel. She has always been more of the dominate one, so not much phases her, as long as she is feed and pet she is happy, but Scooter is sensitive, and loving and needs attention and his Mommy. :(

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I'm sorry you had to find a home for your pups. I cried when reading this because I completely understand how hard that is. I really should find a home for both my dogs, but I just can't find the strength that you did. love you

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete